Amy Winehouse was found dead in her London apartment yesterday at the age of 27. I thought it would be interesting for PurpleCast Blogs to post the other members of this prestigous group of rock singers to the site.
1. Jimi Hendrix, Born Novermber 27, 1942 and died in a London Flat by asphyxiation caused by drinking red wine and swallowing several sleeping pills on September 18, 1970
2. Jim Morrison, Born December 8, 1943 and died July 3, 1971 in a bathtub in Paris, France when his heart stopped from an apparent heroin overdose.
3. Brian Jones, original lead guitarist for the Rolling Stones. Born February 28, 1942 and died July 3, 1969 At around midnight on the night of 2–3 July 1969, Jones was discovered motionless at the bottom of his swimming pool at Cotchford Farm. His Swedish girlfriend, Anna Wohlin, was convinced he was alive when they took him out, insisting he still had a pulse. However, by the time the doctors arrived, it was too late, and he was pronounced dead. The coroner's report stated "death by misadventure", and noted his liver and heart were heavily enlarged by drug and alcohol abuse. Note he died on the same day Jim Morrison did just 4 years prior.
4. Kurt Cobain, Born February 20, 1967 and died April 5, 1994 from an suspected suicide from a shtogun wound. On April 8, 1994, Cobain's body was discovered at his Lake Washington home by an electrician who had arrived to install a security system. Apart from a minor amount of blood coming out of Cobain's ear, the electrician reported seeing no visible signs of trauma, and initially believed that Cobain was asleep until he saw the shotgun pointing at his chin. A suicide note was found, addressed to Cobain's childhood imaginary friend "Boddah", that said, paraphrasing, "I haven't felt the excitement of listening to as well as creating music, along with really writing . . . for too many years now". A high concentration of heroin and traces of Valium were also found in his body. Cobain's body had been lying there for days; the coroner's report estimated Cobain to have died on April 5, 1994.
5. Janis Joplin, Born January 19, 1943 and died on October 4, 1970 from a heroin overdose. he last recordings Joplin completed were on October 1, 1970 — "Mercedes Benz" and a birthday greeting for John Lennon, the Dale Evans "Happy Trails." Lennon, whose birthday was October 9, later told Dick Cavett that her taped greeting arrived at his home after her death. She was found dead in her hotel room beside her bed from an apparent overdose combined with a mix of alcohol.
6. Amy Winehouse, born September 14, 1983 and died July 23, 2011 from unknown causes in her London apartment.
7. , Born May 8, 1911 and died August 16, 1938 . Differing accounts and theories attempt to shed light on the events preceding his death. A story often told is that one evening Johnson began flirting with a woman at a dance, the wife of the juke joint owner, according to rumor, unaware that the bottle of whiskey she gave to Johnson had been poisoned by her husband. In another version, she was a married woman unrelated to the juke joint owner. Johnson was allegedly offered an open bottle of whiskey that was laced with strychnine. Fellow blues legend Sonny Boy Williamson allegedly advised him never to drink from an offered bottle that had already been opened. According to Williamson, Johnson replied, "Don't ever knock a bottle out of my hand." Soon after, he was offered another open bottle of whiskey, also laced with strychnine, and accepted it. Johnson is reported to have begun feeling ill the evening after drinking from the bottle and had to be helped back to his room in the early morning hours. Over the next three days, his condition steadily worsened and witnesses reported that he died in a convulsive state of severe pain—symptoms which are consistent with strychnine poisoning.